Medical Assisting programs in Ohio


According on the Bureau of Labor Statistics projections, the medical assisting industry is expected to grow by 31% within the next eight years from its current population of more than 520,000 active practitioners. That equates to about 165,000 more jobs from now until 2020, making the medical assisting field one of the fastest growing and most active occupations in the healthcare sector. The reason behind this is the increasing number of aging people as well as the number of people seeking medical treatment, young and old alike.†

Pathways of Becoming a Medical Assistant

Medical assistants can complete their medical assistant education in Ohio within nine months to gain entry into the field. Completing 9-month medical assisting course is one option. The other option is the associate's degree in medical assisting which takes two years to complete and covers subjects such as Human Anatomy, Lab. Techniques, Medication Administration and Diagnostic Procedures. The latter is more specialized and opens up the door to other careers such as medical billing and coding or clinical medical assistant.

Matching School Ads

Fortis College

At Fortis, our students get the skills and training needed for great careers in industries that are in demand. You are now closer to your dreams than ever before!

Fortis provides prominent education for anyone regardless of your previous educational background. Get the opportunity to receive all the personalized attention you deserve to achieve your career and educational goals!

Campus
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Centerville, OH
  • Columbus, OH
  • Ravenna, OH
Programs
  • Medical Assisting
Matching School Ads

Certification

What further strengthens an assistant's employment credential is passing a certification exam designed for medical assistants. Although not required by the state, some allied health professionals are forced to take the exam due to stiff competition among other certified medical assistants, including employers' preference to hire formally trained and certified practitioners only.

To become eligible to take the certification test, students or first-time certification takers must have graduated from accredited medical assisting schools if they want to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam given by the American Association of Medical Assistants. Those who intend to take a certification test but did not graduate from an accredited school may also try exams given by other health-related organizations such as the RMA with American Medical Technologists, while those who learned their tasks on the job will have to accumulate at least five years of medical assisting experience before they are allowed to sit for an exam.

Ohio Wages for Medical Assistants

Table 1 Salary Data Source: U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Level of Experience Hourly Rate Annual Salary
Entry-Level Wage $9.82 $20,400
Median Wage $13.05 $27,100
Experienced Wage $17.44 $36,300

Job Responsibilities

Medical assistants perform clinical as well as administrative tasks in a doctor's clinic or in a hospital. They receive patients during their appointment, take patients' vital signs, arrange lab procedures for patients, and help in hospital admission. They also serve as the link between the doctor and the patient especially during times when there are issues on billing and insurance claims. Other responsibilities include answering the phone, arranging succeeding appointment, accounting and bookkeeping, administering medicine to patients, and preparing laboratory specimens for lab analysis.

Workplaces

About 60% of medical assistants work in offices of doctors or in hospital settings. The remaining 40% have found work opportunities in cancer and dialysis centers, drug rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, spas, school offices, and blood banks, among others. †

If this is the type of work environment that you find appealing, then this is the best time for you to begin your medical assistant education in Ohio.

If you want to earn more money you can continue your education by specializing in areas such as Podiatry, Optometry and Ophthalmology. Plus as you advance in your career so does your salary!

References:
† US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010–11 Edition: Medical Assistants. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos164.htm.

Medical Assistant Programs by State

Alabama Georgia Maine Nevada Pennsylvania Washington
Alaska Hawaii Maryland New Hampshire Rhode Island West Virginia
Arizona Idaho Massachusetts New Jersey South Carolina Wisconsin
Arkansas Illinois Michigan New York South Dakota Wyoming
California Indiana Minnesota North Carolina Tennessee  
Colorado Iowa Mississippi North Dakota Texas  
Connecticut Kansas Missouri Ohio Utah  
Delaware Kentucky Montana Oklahoma Virginia  
Florida Louisiana Nebraska Oregon Vermont